"The bird proudly willing to burn,
So that she may live again"


Friday, September 9, 2011

Goodbye Kiss




Finally we meet in the middle
with violet bonfire reflecting in our eyes
In this vicinity we speak without words

I toss the cord, awkward and heavy with bulk
Across the flames, his tired face is
hardened by captive time
Saying
"Do what you must"

On my hip sits the child,
staring into the fire,
eyes so similar to his

 "Are you okay with this?"


Fearless she is
with a faith known only to the young
"I trust you, Mom"

What bliss it must be
to not know pain
to not know the agony of regret

Together, she and I, hypnotized
As swirls of fuschia smoke
rise from the cord
Crackling slight resistance
dissolving from existence

And now I can see him through her eyes:
A stranger, unnecessary in our lives.
Her faith gives me the courage to trust myself
Her strength gives me permission to let go

TvE 2011


No comments:

Post a Comment